Monday, September 29, 2008

How To Get Celebrity Lashes!







Don't you always wonder why female celebrities always look just a little bit better than the average female in their red carpet photos?? It's simple- they wear false eyelashes!! I swear it's the one makeup trick that makes the biggest difference by far. And with a little practice, you too can look celeb perfect at your next special event, wedding, black tie affair, or just a night out with your hubby!

For starters, make sure to use the individuals, not the strips. Individuals look the most realistic. If one takes a nose dive off your eye, it won't look as obvious as say the old school strips coming off looking like a weird caterpillar crawling off your eye!! My favorite pick for falsies are Ardell individual lashes in the short flare black.

Here are my simple steps for applying false eyelashes:

1. Must have supplies to get you started
  • a pair of tweezers (only Tweezerman tweezers will do!)
  • small cosmetic scissors
  • eyelash curler (my fav is Shiseido's-nothing else compares)
  • waterproof eyelash glue
  • your favorite mascara (there are a ton out there, but my newest drugstore find is CoverGirl Lash Blast)
  • eyeliner & eyeshadow
  • a well lit mirror
  • clean eyelid
2. Apply a line of eyeliner in pencil or liquid form from the innermost corner of your top lash line and sweep all the way to the end of the eye, pulling your eyeliner up just slightly at the corner to give the appearance of a lifted eye.

3. Next, sweep a matching shade of eyeshadow over your liner to set it.

4. Complete your eye makeup look on the eye bed with your favorite eyeshadow.

5. Curl your upper lashes with the curler and apply one coat of mascara.

6. Squeeze your lash glue onto a small surface or paper plate, and take the first clump of individual lashes with your tweezers and dip just the tip in the glue.

7. Start on the outer most corner of your natural lashes with the first clump and apply as close to the lash line as possible, preferably on the base of your natural lash more so than your actual eyelid.

8. As you get to the center of your eyelid, your natural lashes become shorter, so take your scissors and cut down the falsies a bit so they blend nicely with your god-given lashes.

9. Depending on your eye shape and width, I usually suggest only using about 6 individual clumps per eye, focusing on the outer most part of the eye.

10. Once both eyes are done and the glue is dry (takes about 5 minutes for it to set), finish with one more coat of mascara to blend the falsies with the naturals!

There you go- you look just like Catherine Zeta Jones and you're ready for your close up!!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so impressed!!!!!
Looks great!
I will be happy to contribute pics anytime!!
:)
-abbey

Ashley said...

Jennifer,

This looks so awesome! I don't think I can do the false eyelashes myself, but I need to you to do them for me one time!

Ashley

Amy said...

This blog is amazing. Thank you for all of the oh so helpful tips! You are my make-up guru! I can't wait to see what topics you cover next. :)

Jennifer of JennySue Makeup said...

Al, I would LOVE some contributing photographs by such a talented mommy! Thanks for offering!

Jennifer of JennySue Makeup said...

Ashley, you could totally do it yourself as long as you have the hubby take care of the kiddo(s) while you apply them:-)

Jennifer of JennySue Makeup said...

Amy- you can look forward to my next topic.."Where to Save and Where to Splurge"- Makeup Products and Children/Baby Products.

Mommy Janna said...

Alright Jennifer here are the serious questions to start your blog. I need HELP. My skin is not quite as desierable as I would like and do not know if it is my make up or skin care regim or both. What do you recommend?

Jennifer of JennySue Makeup said...

Mommy Janna, we could talk forever about figuring out what could make your complexion look better! In a nutshell, I would start with your skin care regime and make sure you are eliminating any heavy foundations or products that contain oil in them. Wash with a gentle foaming cleanser, from a company like Aveeno (their stuff is gentle). Then use an oil free moisturizer. Try the new cleansing program for like a week and see if there is any difference. If not- we'll discuss other avenues:-) Fill me in!! Good Luck

Karen said...

Have to say I have difficulty with individual lashes...darn the short asian eyelashes...I find cutting the full ones in smaller pieces work slightly better for me...

Sarah S. Fallaw said...

OHHHH- that's how they do it. I LOVE your blog. Great job. I'm passing it along to my friends!

Jennifer of JennySue Makeup said...

karen- great input on those darn asian lashes! hahahaha!! they can be a pain to put on, but boy do they make a world of difference. thanks for your contribution...jennysue