Don't you always wonder why female celebrities always look just a little bit better than the average female in their red carpet photos?? It's simple- they wear false eyelashes!! I swear it's the one makeup trick that makes the biggest difference by far. And with a little practice, you too can look celeb perfect at your next special event, wedding, black tie affair, or just a night out with your hubby!
For starters, make sure to use the individuals, not the strips. Individuals look the most realistic. If one takes a nose dive off your eye, it won't look as obvious as say the old school strips coming off looking like a weird caterpillar crawling off your eye!! My favorite pick for falsies are Ardell individual lashes in the short flare black.
Here are my simple steps for applying false eyelashes:
1. Must have supplies to get you started
- a pair of tweezers (only Tweezerman tweezers will do!)
- small cosmetic scissors
- eyelash curler (my fav is Shiseido's-nothing else compares)
- waterproof eyelash glue
- your favorite mascara (there are a ton out there, but my newest drugstore find is CoverGirl Lash Blast)
- eyeliner & eyeshadow
- a well lit mirror
- clean eyelid
3. Next, sweep a matching shade of eyeshadow over your liner to set it.
4. Complete your eye makeup look on the eye bed with your favorite eyeshadow.
5. Curl your upper lashes with the curler and apply one coat of mascara.
6. Squeeze your lash glue onto a small surface or paper plate, and take the first clump of individual lashes with your tweezers and dip just the tip in the glue.
7. Start on the outer most corner of your natural lashes with the first clump and apply as close to the lash line as possible, preferably on the base of your natural lash more so than your actual eyelid.
8. As you get to the center of your eyelid, your natural lashes become shorter, so take your scissors and cut down the falsies a bit so they blend nicely with your god-given lashes.
9. Depending on your eye shape and width, I usually suggest only using about 6 individual clumps per eye, focusing on the outer most part of the eye.
10. Once both eyes are done and the glue is dry (takes about 5 minutes for it to set), finish with one more coat of mascara to blend the falsies with the naturals!
There you go- you look just like Catherine Zeta Jones and you're ready for your close up!!